Cooking Safely With Oil and Grease
Fried foods have become increasingly popular in Raleigh, NC. As home chefs attempt to recreate their greasy restaurant favorites, sometimes things get out of hand. If oil or grease is overheated, it begins to smoke. If the temperature continues to rise after that, it will quickly catch fire. A grease fire is among the most dangerous types of house fire because it’s often not handled properly, and nothing ruins a good dinner party like a full-scale home evacuation. Here are some ways to prevent, extinguish, and handle the aftermath of a grease fire.
The easiest ways to prevent your cooking oil from overheating are to take these precautions:
- Never leave oil/grease unattended on or near a heat source
- Use a thermometer to prevent overheating
These simple practices will ensure your time in the kitchen is safe and flame-free.
In case your oil does get too hot and catches fire, turn off the heat source if you can do so safely. Do not attempt to put water or other liquids on the fire as they will only feed the blaze. Instead, here are a few ways to safely extinguish it:
- Cover the pan with a metal lid or a cookie sheet
- Smother it with baking soda or salt
- Us a Class B or K fire extinguisher
Remember that your safety is the most important thing. If the fire gets out of hand, don't hesitate to leave the house and call 911 for help.
After you've experienced a grease fire, it's difficult to know what to do next. The best option is to find an experienced fire restoration company to help repair your home. The professionals will be able to handle the fire cleanup, help salvage your possessions, remove any harmful byproducts from your ventilation system, and restore your kitchen to its former glory so you can give that dinner party another try.